Thursday, June 24, 2010

Laurence Yep


Yep, Laurence. (1996). Hiroshima.
This book describes the bombing of Hiroshima, Japan which occured the morning of August 6, 1945. It talks about how it affected a 12 year old fictional character, Sachi. Sachi is at school when the bomb hits her town. She survives the bombing, and she is one of 25 "Hiroshima Maidens" who get to travel to the United States and get plastic surgery to correct some of their burns from the bombing when she is older. Her story is both tragic and gruesome. I think this is an excellent book, but it left goosebumps on my arms and tears in my eyes. It is a story I will never read again, because it is one I will never forget.

Other books written by Laurence Yep include Dragonwings, Dragon's Gate, Earth Dragon Awakes: The San Francisco Earthquake of 1906, Child of the Owl, and Rainbow People.

No comments:

Post a Comment